The student news site of Pinecrest Preparatory Charter Middle-High School

The Crocnicle

• January 10Welcome to our new staff writers!

• December 31Happy New Year, Crocs!

[Croc] in the Middle

Anais Alvarez, Staff

middleschoolIs transitioning to middle school difficult for you? Well it’s okay, when someone is transitioning schools it usually means switching to another building and that takes time to adjust. While it may be difficult, it is not impossible. Remember, not everyone can adjust the same way.

While some people change, some maintain their basic essence. The Crocnicle interviewed three new Croc middle-schoolers with the same three questions about themselves. They all answered ‘Yes’ when I asked, “Has anything about you changed?” It is safe to say all three simply matured. Of course, not everyone matures; sometimes middle school students overreact to the smallest and least important things. For example, if a spider is spotted on the wall, some students will go crazy.

Other students start to grow but also suddenly begin to get mortified at public praise. To help this situation, parents, teachers, and other adults should continue praising the students, but should do it in private. As students start to grow, most of them will start growing away from their parents.’ Students also start to use metaphor, slang, and different ways of speaking. Most significantly, once students leave elementary school, they realize not everything in the world is safe.

Since transitioning to middle school can be difficult, the most important only thing new middle schoolers can do is find the right friend or friends.  Most kids find it difficult to ‘fit’ in because they think they have found the right group but really have not found a perfect group of friends. After a while, and note this this might only happen in the situation that they have not found the right group of friends, students might start to do what their peers do. The reason for that is that students start to care only about what their peers think of them. They become followers.

But everything gets better with time. As students grow older, some start to make smarter choices. For example, some of the Crocs interviewed used to always play video games but now like to go outside and play football during free time. The responses to questions about apparel also indicated most middle schoolers made significant changes to their fashion style in middle school. Middle school, then, was definitely a time of change: a time to leave elementary ways behind, but also a time to marvel at high school ways that seemed a little too difficult to embrace. It was “middle” school and students in it did their best to maneuver that middle with – mastery!