The student news site of Pinecrest Preparatory Charter Middle-High School

The Crocnicle

• January 10Welcome to our new staff writers!

• December 31Happy New Year, Crocs!

5 Steps to Becoming a Great Poet

Valeria Garcia, Staff Reporter

Some people see poetry as a way of expressing their feelings; others see it as just a cluster of words assembled together. Becoming a great poet is not the easiest thing, but it is not impossible either. It can be summed up into five big steps.

Step One: Never give yourself a minimum in writing, and let it be free and natural. The Crocnicle interviewed Ms. Almandarez and students Eli Tellez and Ashly Arias and they all agreed about not placing arbitrary limits; let the poem speak through you and let it be free.

Step Two: Be open minded; let your mind be free; it will help you come up with ideas on what to write. The most random things will give you the best ideas. Something like an object or a lyric can inspire more art. Let your personal experiences, things you hear, feel and see help you with what you’re writing about.

Step Three: No matter how good you are at writing poems, there will always be some practice behind it. At some time in your life, you will be bad at it; just remember to never give up and keep practicing. None of the Croc poets the Crocnicle interviewed said that they were just born with that talent. All of them have had practice sometime in their life; it could have been when they were younger or a couple years ago when they were already grown up. Some do not have to work as hard to become the great poets they have become, but others do have to put a lot of effort into it. But, with practice, all of them can succeed.

Step Four: Read as much as you can, in any form or medium. The choice of words has great importance when writing; reading is the best help with writing. Read a lot of books, extend your vocabulary, and let it all sink in. “Devour words and books in all forms,” recommends Ms. Almendarez. Always have your brain working and never stop reading and acquiring new vocabulary.

Step Five: Never close yourself up; let your thoughts on poetry change freely as you grow up. Your thoughts on poetry will evolve if you let them. Each new experience will change your perspective. Elizabeth Tellez’ conception of poetry, for instance, changed when she first had Ms. Almendarez’ class as a freshman; Ms. A introduced her to the glorious, open-minded world of poetry. Ashly Arias’ idea of poetry changed in the sense of the “feelings and effort put into writing poems.” Even Ms. Almandarez’ idea of poetry has evolved since she was younger. Once, Shel Silverstein was her idol, but as she has experienced more things in life, she has come to realize that poetry is the “embodiment of all those experiences.”

These five steps are not the only ways of becoming a great poet, but they can be a helpful start to it. Follow these rules, let yourself be free and open minded and just write about your experiences and thoughts on life. The results may be poetic!