The student news site of Pinecrest Preparatory Charter Middle-High School

The Crocnicle

• January 10Welcome to our new staff writers!

• December 31Happy New Year, Crocs!

Republicans Debate

Thalia Alvarez, Staff Reporter

“I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” Republican candidate Carly Fiorina stated. On September 16th, 2015 a number of Republican candidates went head-to-head debating specific issues and opinions. One of the main topics that most candidates debated was actually a person: Donald Trump, another Republican candidate for presidency. Besides Carly Fiorina, other candidates went into dispute with Mr. Trump; these include Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, and Rand Paul. On the other hand, candidates Chris Christie, John Kasich, Scott Walker, Ben Carson, Mike Huckabee and Ted Cruz chose to take the “high road” and not confront Mr. Trump.

Carly Fiorina was said to be the winner of the night; she confronted Mr. Trump for saying that she was not going to get many votes from Americans because of her physical appearance. Mr. Trump said previously in an interview with Rolling Stone Magazine “Look at that face! Would anyone vote for that? Can you imagine that, the face of our next president?” She responded to this at the GOP Debate by saying “I think women all over this country heard very clearly what Mr. Trump said,” followed by a roaring of applauses. Donald Trump was said to have both highs and lows during the debate. One of his lowest moments of the night was when he was speechless for more than 30 minutes, causing some critics to conclude that he felt uncomfortable talking about any subject other than immigration. Marco Rubio, for his part, showed off his skills Wednesday night when he took on Trump directly and did not hesitate to answer any uncomfortable or personal questions. Based on CNN, the winners of the night were Carly Fiorina, Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, and Chris Christie, in that order.

Debates happen at Pinecrest Preparatory Charter High, as well, since there is both a debate team and class, both facilitated by Mr. Morua. The Crocnicle asked some of our campus debaters their opinions on the national debate. Sophomore Marla Rosado commented that “Fiorina did draw in a lot of attention, but I don’t consider her the star of the debate” and that Jeb Bush does not really have such an “advantage because of his brother’s history as president.” Sophomore Andrew Lopez, in contrast, thought Jeb Bush’s brother would affect his chances of being president. Andrea Rosado agreed, citing Jeb’s vicarious experience with the presidency. Despite their different interpretations, these debaters clearly enjoyed watching their favorite activity play out on a national stage.